Usk Fishing Seasons

To fish on the river Usk and any of its tributaries, you need to have a fishing licence, which you can purchase from:

the Environment Agency website or
the Natural Resources Wales website

Freshwater rod fishing rules

What follows is a summary of the points made on the Environment Agency website about fishing in freshwater in England and Wales:

• you must follow national and local rules (byelaws) when freshwater fishing with a rod and line in England and Wales. These rules are aimed at protecting fish stocks and making fisheries sustainable. Freshwater fish include salmon, trout, coarse fish and eels.

England and Wales are broken down into regions and each has their own rules. National rules are included in each set of local rules. There may also be rules for privately owned bodies of water, e.g. private fishing lakes.

Read the local bylaws for the area in which you intend to fish — and any additional rules for privately owned water — to find out such matters as the:

◦ areas in your region where you’re not allowed to fish
◦ closed seasons (when you can’t fish) which apply to particular types of water and fish within your region
◦ sort of tackle you can use for certain fish in your region
◦ size of fish you can keep and catch limits

• you must have a rod licence to fish in England and Wales if you’re aged 12 or older

• You must report how many salmon and sea trout you’ve caught during the fishing season if you have a migratory salmon and sea trout rod licence

You can be fined for selling rod-caught salmon or sea trout in England and Wales. You can also be fined if you remove fish from privately-owned waters without written permission from the owner.


Comments are closed.


Quick Links

Copyright © 2010 Usk Fishing Association. Website designed and built by
Cardiff webdesign, Kumori Media.
All rights reserved.

Contact information

The Chairman

The Estate Office

Glanusk Park, Crickhowell

Powys, NP8 1LP

01873 810414